STUDY AND DEFINITION OF 3 DIMENSIONAL SHAPES
3 DIMENSIONAL SHAPES continued
PART TWO - Pyramids
a polyhedron with a polygon base, and triangular faces with a common vertex
1. Build a triangular based pyramid using 3 triangles and 1 triangle frame.
2. Build a square based pyramid using 4 triangles and 1 square frame.
3. Build a pentagon based pyramid using 5 triangles and 1 pentagon.
|4 Face Pyramid
||5 Face Pyramid
||6 Face Pyramid
|base plus 3 sides
||base plus 4 sides
||base plus 5 sides
Test your knowledge of the attributes of pyramids -
4. Identify which of the above is a tetrahedron*, and which is hexahedron, and explain why. *Tetrahedron - a polyhedron with 4 faces
5. Calculate how many faces, edges and vertices each one has
6. What are the patterns between the number of faces, edges and vertices ? When you increase the number of faces, what happens to the number of vertices ? And what happens to the number of edges ?
7. Test the formula for pyramids that E = (F x 2) - 2. And V = F
PART THREE - Prisms
Prism - a polyhedron with 2 equal polygonal faces in parallel planes, and all the other faces being (equal) rectangles.
CONSTRUCTIONS - PRISMS
8. Build a triangular prism using 3 squares plus a triangle frame at each end.
9. Build a quadrangular prism using 4 squares & a square frame at each end.
10. Build a pentagonal prism using 6 squares, with a pentagon at each end.
11. Build a hexagonal prism using 6 squares, with a hexagon at each end.
12. Build a star shape prism using the hexagonal prism as a base to build on.
||Star Shaped Prism
|2 equal triangular faces in parallel planes
||2 equal pentagonal faces in opposing planes
||2 equal star shaped faces in opposing planes
Test your knowledge of the attributes of prisms -
13. Calculate how many faces, edges and vertices each one has
14. What are the patterns between the number of faces, edges and vertices ?
15. Test the formula for prisms that E = (F + V) - 2. And V = 2F - 4.
16. Solve these two formula to find the value of E as an expression of F.
[Klikko Math] [Klikko Science]
[Product Information] [Product Comments] [Enquiries & Ordering] [Home] [Key Value Points]